“This is a democracy!” cried the religious person on the Fox News interview. He then went on to explain that since 90% of the population agrees with him that therefore it was OK for them to force their religion on the other 10%. Yeah, you know that 1st Amendment? It only applies to the majority view.
Ah. This is apparently a new definition of democracy for which I was unaware.
The discussion was about a bunch of Satanists who are demanding equal time in Oklahoma. The Christians placed a Ten Commandments display on public property. The Constitution demands that the government take no preference concerning religion. Therefore, the Satanists get to put up their silly goat-head statue.
Many religious people, of course, are only in favor of freedom of religion when it’s their own religion. In a recent debate on Fox News, they tried their best to deny the 1st Amendment applied. David Silverman, head of American Atheists (and a friend of mine), tried to point out that the law demands that you allow them to place their own displays. And then he had to once more clarify to the idiots that atheism is not Satanism. “They’re all bunk to me,” he said.
There is a very, very simple solution to all of this. Simply get your religious statue off of government property. Then they don’t have to give “equal time” to Hindus and Satanists and Atheists and Pastafastarians.