“I am resigning even though I am not corrupt. I’m also not gay. I am not a crook. These are not the droids you are looking for.”
Corrupt Republican representative Aaron Schock resigned today, admitting no wrong doing.
The closeted anti-gay Schock was brought down not by his hypocrisy, but by numerous ethical violations which kept piling up so fast that he had to do something. Let’s see:
- He used taxpayer money to lavishly decorate his Capitol offices to look like Downton Abbey
- He took private planes everywhere and tried to hide the costs by listing the expenses as “software”
- He apparently hired his boyfriend at an enormous salary as his “personal photographer” using taxpayer money, of course.
- He sold his home for above its value to a contributor who wanted nothing in return, I tell you! Nothing!
- and of course, there was that staffer who was forced to resign after posting a lot of racist tweets
I’m assuming his resignation is part of some deal to not have charges brought against him or something similar, or perhaps there is more corruption out there that we just don’t know about that this deal will keep secret.
In any event, good riddance.
(thanks to Glenn Hauman for that terrible pun headline — it is St. Patrick’s Day, after all)