Whenever I hear conservative politicians say things like “Make America great again” I have to wonder. The economy is booming. Unemployment is at its lowest rate in ten years. The deficit has been reduced by 2/3rds. The stock market is at its highest ever and gas prices are at their lowest in years. Foreign policy-wise, ISIS leaders have been killed, Qadaffi was removed, bin Laden is dead, and we have less troops overseas than we did eight years ago.
These are all things that, if a Republican were in office, conservatives would be citing to say how wonderful their President is.
So what do they mean when they say “Make America great again”?
It’s clear that they’re not talking about the standard of living, foreign policy, or the economy. What they want is to go back to the old ways. You know — an America where
- Minorities know their place and aren’t all uppity and saying “Black lives matter”
- Gays hide in the closet and don’t demand rights
- Transgender people are treated like they have mental problems and are shunned from society
- Women let men decide their personal health issues, especially concerning abortion
- Non-Christians let Christians force their religious views into the laws
- Immigrants are kept out so that we can keep a white majority
- No one questions the rich and powerful or demands that they pay their fair share
- Health care and other needed necessities are only available to those who can afford it
That’s the America they want back — where rich, white, Christian men run things and everyone else sucks it up.
It’s a definition of “great” that only applies to a small minority of Americans who have managed to convince the simple-minded and gullible that America is not about equality, opportunity, and freedom but instead about allowing those in power to force their views onto the rest of us.